(Dead Woman Version)
Lowlands, Lowlands, away, my John,
Lowlands away I heard them say,
My Lowlands away.
1. I dreamed a dream the other night,
Ch. Lowlands, Lowlands, away, my John.
My love she came dressed all in white,
Ch. My Lowlands away.
2. I dreamed my love came in my sleep,
Her cheeks were wet, her eyes did weep.
3. She came to me as my best bride (at mt bed-side),
All dressed in white like some fair bride.
4. And bravely in her bosom fair,
A red, red rose did my love wear.
5. She made no sound-no word she said,
And then I knew my love was dead.
6. I bound the weeper round my head,
For now I knew my love was dead.
7. She waved her hand-she said goodbye,
I wiped the tear from out my eye.
8. And then awoke to hear the cry,
'Oh, watch on deck, oh, watch ahoy!'
Variations on the chorus are:
Lowlands, Lowlands, hurrah my Jo,
Lowlands, high, Lowlands, alay!
Lowlands, Lowlands, hooraw my John,
My Lowlands aray!
from Hugill, Shanties from the Seven Seas
@sailor @death @love
Popup Midi Player