How to choose representative? By categories?
1. A broken token song - Claudy Banks if that hasn't been too "Irished" but anything with William and Nancy in
2. a pressganging/recruiting; Tender Coming will do nicely, or Recruited Collier
3. the soldiers are leaving: Doli-ah, or The rout has come for the Blues
4. a shanty: too many to choose from but Drunken Sailor is the best known
5. Transportation/poachers: Rufford Park
6. Gipsies: Lost Lady Found, or one of the Gypsy Davey variants
7. A drinking song: Wilkin's Ale, John Barleycorn
8. A courting/nightvisiting song: my current favourite is the Crockery Ware
9. Highwaymen: Solvay
10. pastoral idyll: any Jolly Ploughman type
11. Foxhunting: John Peel for sure
12. Witches/magic: Unquiet Grave. Oops, I'm over ten already and haven't reached the
13. cross-dressing Female Drummer yet. Or the
14. openly patriotic Over the Hills. At least I did manage to slip some
15. humour in, among the other categories.
16. Industrial: The weaver & the Factory Maid or Banks of the Dee
Forget it. Just buy one of the two Threlfall CDs and enjoy.