We just bought an old camper van. When we got it home, Mrs. Duck was showing it to the kids. She pumped the water tap and was surprised to smell what smells suspiciously like petrol. The got out quickly.
I then checked the van, and mopped the liquid with kitchen roll and took it to a fire safe place (an incinerator bin).
I tested the moppings with a flame, and the wet rag would not burn, so obviously NOT neat petrol.
We suspect that someone at the car lot (not camper experts) didn't realise and put some petrol in the water tank filler instead of the petrol one. If this is what has happened, we don't know how much, but I suspect we have a mixture of petrol and water in the tank, and if so, need to make it safe.
In daylight tomorrow, siphoning the tank is probably a starting point, but looking for thoughts on safely getting rid of traces of petrol before we need to drink water from the tank.
Geoff the Duck.