I just saw the movie made by Steven Spielberg.
And I think Spielberg has seen "Platoon" by Oliver Stone, and also "Full Metal Jacket".
1) After the Normandie-battle the soldiers start to quarrel, like they they did most of the time in Platoon.
2) In the middle of the movie, Tom Hanks is talking with his soldiers, and there comes another platoon of experienced soldiers walking beside. With cold faces. And in slow-motion. Just like in the start of Platoon, where experienced soldiers meet new soldiers.
3) In the middle of the movie there is a sequence with a german sniper. He shoots one of the american soldiers, and wants to shoot him again, like in Full Metal Jacket. But the difference here is that the sniper gets first killed instead.
4) And you have the coward who is always behind. And he hides. Like in Platoon. In the end of Spielbergs movie he try to show himself as a "hero" , like in Platoon where the coward "was wounded".
5) And the movie ends with a big battle, like in Platoon.
6) But the final end is with a guy who is filled with sorrow of what has happened, like in Platoon and Charlie Sheen.