Jonathan - Its not about school administrators. Its about bad rule making from the state legislature.
In Ontario's safe school policy the guidelines are very clear. I read:
"A pupil will be expelled for any of the following infractions, subject to mitigating factors, detailed below:
1. possessing a weapon, including possessing a firearm;
2. Using a weapon ot cause or threaten bodily harm;
3. Committing physical harm to another requiring treatment by a doctor;
4. committing sexual assault;
5. Trafficking in weapons or illegal drugs;
6. Committing robbery;
7. Giving alcohol to a minor;
Etc, Etc, Etc. there are 7 more infractions for expulsions. but you get the idea. Now we allow for mitigating factors, which is an escape clause for something like this. Perhaps Texas doesn't have that. So you have to go by the letter of the law. The state makes the law. If the administators disregard the law of the state, they become libel. No matter how dumb this ruling sounds.
What they should be doing, is calling the Capitol to state the particulars and ask for the Governor to rule on it. Then they should rewrite the law.