Enough jesting and nose tweaking.
In all seriousness.....if you are serious about becoming a serious musicianthe most important decision you will ever make is in the selection of your teacher. It is critical.
Listen to them play.
Go to a recital and listen to their students play.
If you are bold, give them> a test on sight and ear playing.
Find out their background/training where do they play now?
Your lessons should include:
1. Learning and polishing pieces for performance
2. Sight reading notes and even tab
3. Theory (learn the what and why of things)
4. Techniques -insights - avoiding pitfalls,traps,bad-habits.
5. Ear training
7. FUN!!!!...(you should admire the teacher, communicate well, and feel proud when your practice yields fruit.)
Wether one is a child or an acomplished professional we all need teachers.