The Mudcat Café TM
Thread #79224 Message #1439478
Posted By: Gurney
21-Mar-05 - 04:40 AM
Thread Name: BS: Second Joke Thread for 2005
Subject: RE: BS: Second Joke Thread for 2005
Copied and pasted this straight off an EMail. sorry if it's a duplicate. Gurney.
"A French teacher was explaining to her class that in French, unlike English, nouns are designated either masculine or feminine.
House, for instance, is feminine: La maison. Pencil, however, is masculine: Le crayon.
A student asked, "What gender is a computer?" Instead of giving the answer, the teacher split the class into two groups, male & female and asked them to decide for themselves whether computer should be a masculine or a feminine noun. Each group was asked to give four reasons for their recommendations.
The men`s group decided that computer should definitely be of the feminine gender because-
1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic.
2. The language they use to communicate with other computers is is incomprehensible to everyone else.
3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long-term memory for possible later retrieval.
4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your pay cheque on accessories for it.
The woman`s group however concluded that computers should be masculine because;-
1. In order to do anything with them you have to turn them on.
2. They have a lot of data but still can`t think for themselves.
3. They are supposed to help you solve problems but half the time they ARE the problem.
4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had waited a little longer, you could have got a better model."