Just about everything has been said and i don't have anything new to contribute - I just want to register my opinion.
1) No division. If you think the music threads disappear too qiuckly, set your page to pull up more than 1 day - it just takes a moment and maybe there's a way to do that permanently?
2) It's Max's web page. Whaever he says goes.
3) Ignore everything you're not interested in.
4) Sorry to bring up Bobby Sands Threat again, but if you look, many of the comments in that thread were compliments to the vast majority of the posters, thakinging them for keeping it a civil, intelligent and honest debate. It was a remarkable discussion - one in which I am proud to have been involved.
5) Ignore the people on the fringe if they bother you. But remember the fringe has made some radical changes for the good throughout history (and for bad too).