The Mudcat Café TM
Thread #16362 Message #1919436
Posted By: Q (Frank Staplin)
26-Dec-06 - 06:15 PM
Thread Name: Twelve Days of Christmas-for teaching catechism?
Subject: RE: Twelve Days of Christmas
Far up, IanC noted the occurrence of the "TDOC" in a 1780 printing.
According to the editor (unsigned, W. N. Newell at the time?) of JAFL, 1900, vol. 13, no. 50, pp. 229-230, the following version was obtained from a Miss Nichols, Salem, Mass., about 1800. The rhyme was very popular in New England.
TWELVE DAYS OF CHRISTMAS
1. The first day of Christmas my true love sent to me
A parteridge upon a pear tree.
2. The second day of Christmas my true love sent to me
Two Turtle doves and a parteridge upon a pear tree.
3. Three French hens, etc.
4. Four Colly birds, etc.
5. Five gold rings, etc.
6. Six geese a laying, etc.
7. Seven squabs a swimming, etc.
8. Eight hounds a running, etc.
9. Nine bears a beating, etc.
10. Ten cocks a crowing, etc.
11. Eleven lords a leaping, etc.
12. Twelve ladies a dancing, etc.