The Mudcat Café TM
Thread #19615 Message #206406
Posted By: Joe Offer
04-Apr-00 - 04:54 AM
Thread Name: Origins: Jambalaya (Hank Williams)
Subject: Recipe: Jambalaya
This seems like an appropriate thread for my current favorite recipe.
In a large skillet, combine oil, onion, and green pepper. Cook over low heat 5 minutes or until onion and green pepper are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in chicken, rice, beans, tomatoes, salsa, thyme, and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until flavors are blended.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 cups cooked rice (uncooked Minute Rice works fine)
- one 15-ounce can kidney, pinto, or black beans
- one 14-ounce can tomatoes, undrained, chopped
- 1 cup medium salsa
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
(I microwave the chicken in a large bowl, and then chop it up, throw in the rest of the ingredients (no oil), and microwave the whole mess on high for 35 minutes. Goes great with beer. Hank Williams woulda loved it.)
Just thought you ought to know. How else can you understand the song?
OK, that's the recipe for Jambalaya. Anybody got one for crawfish pie or filet gumbo? What is filet gumbo?