The Mudcat Café TM
Thread #104699 Message #2146823
Posted By: Jim Dixon
11-Sep-07 - 06:50 PM
Thread Name: Lyr Add: Dan the Dustman (John Kirkpatrick)
Subject: Lyr Add: DAN THE DUSTMAN (John Kirkpatrick)
I heard this on the radio today. I don't even know what album it's from, but the announcer said it was an LP. Isn't it nice that some stations still play LPs?
I assume John Kirkpatrick wrote this. Anybody know for sure?
And can anybody supply a correction to verse 6, line 1?
DAN THE DUSTMAN
As sung by John Kirkpatrick
1. Oh, me name is Dan the dustman; a jolly boy am I.
I travels the streets around all day and I makes the dust to fly.
CHORUS: With a hell of a din, with a clash of me bin,
A dustman's life for me.
2. It's early in the morning when folks are still in bed,
I bashes me can as loud as I can to give 'em an aching head.
3. We collect the stuff in bucketfuls, in tins and paper bags,
And there's many a tramp that I've shoved up the ramp in mistake for a pile of rags.
4. To me all men are equal no matter what their name.
Whatever their occupation, their rubbish all stinks the same.
5. Now, Christmas comes but once a year and we all show good will;
Oh, but if you don't give us a Christmas box, your dustbin will stay filled.
6. So come, me boys, and make your noise, for no … let joy impart, (?)
Raisin' a hullabaloo with a jovial crew all on the dustman's cart.
[To hear an archived radio program that includes this song, Click here and then advance to 1 hour 9 minutes from the beginning of the segment.]