The Mudcat Café TM
Thread #59418 Message #2335979
Posted By: Amos
08-May-08 - 03:51 PM
Thread Name: BS: The Mother of all BS threads
Subject: RE: BS: The Mother of all BS threads
You gentlemen need to learn the very basic concept that one word can have more than one concept mapped to it.
For example, the word "man" has several:
1. A member of species homo sapiens
2. A member of species homo spaiens of male gender.
3. A piece used in a game.
4. (V) To equip (as, an operation, a team, a military unit) with people.
5. An individual representative of a set of individuals. ("The once-surly crew pitched in to a man...")
6. An expletive used to emphasize or modulate a communication addressed to an individual. *("Get a grip on yourself, man!" he said to the fat lady who was too scared to sing.)
Yo will find my chosen and intended meaning somewhere in the list above, but if you guess wrong, it will cost you your larynx.