The Mudcat Café TM
Thread #111469   Message #2350687
Posted By: GUEST,Songster Bob
28-May-08 - 12:17 AM
Thread Name: There must be a name for this!
Subject: RE: There must be a name for this!
I like the term suggested above, but to me it sounds like hymnody -- church music is rife with this, where every note is harmonized so that no single part of the music has any real musical tension. If the melody goes C-D-E-D-C, the chords would be C-G-C-G-C. Folkies would probably play it all on the C chord, or C-C-C-G-C, depending on the length of each note.

Of course, a modern "folk" arrangement would be C-Dm-Em-G-Am, but what do I know?