The Mudcat Café TM
Thread #114362 Message #2460046
Posted By: Richie
08-Oct-08 - 07:36 AM
Thread Name: Lyr Add: Work Gang Songs
Subject: Lyr Add: SWANNANOA TUNNEL
I have several versions of this work gang song. Sharp collected a version un 1916.
Bascom Lamar Lunsford
1. I'm going back to that Swannanoa Tunnel,
That's my home, baby, that's my home.
2. Asheville Junction, Swannanoa Tunnel,
All caved in, baby, all caved in.
3. Last December, I remember,
The wind blowed cold, baby, the wind blowed cold.
4. When you hear my watchdog howling, /Somebody around, (etc.).
5. When you hear that hoot owl squalling, /Somebody dying, (etc.).
6. Hammer falling from my shoulder /All day long, (etc.).
7. Ain't no hammer in this mountain /Outrings mine, (etc.).
8. This old hammer, it killed John Henry, /It didn't kill me, (etc.).
9. Riley Gardner, he killed my partner, /He couldn't kill me, (etc.).
10; Riley Rambler, he killed Jack Ambler, /He didn't kill me, (etc.).
11. This old hammer rings like silver, /Shines like gold, (etc.).
12. Take this hammer, throw it in the river, /It rings right on, baby, it shines right on.
13. Some of these days I'll see that woman, /Well that's no dream, (etc.).