The Mudcat Café TM
Thread #116335 Message #2499017
Posted By: Rapparee
20-Nov-08 - 09:54 PM
Thread Name: BS: Gun ban - yep already
Subject: RE: BS: Gun ban - yep already
How can we prevent suicides? Well, to start with we could pay closer attention to each other and learn to recognize the symptoms that can lead to suicide, such as these:
Warning Signs of Suicide
* Ideation (thinking, talking or wishing about suicide)
* Substance use or abuse (increased use or change in substance)
* Puposelessness (no sense of purpose or belonging)
* Trapped (feeling like there is no way out)
* Hopelessness (there is nothing to live for, no hope or optimism)
* Withdrawal (from family, friends, work, school, activities, hobbies)
* Anxiety (restlessness, irritability, agitation)
* Recklessness (high risk-taking behavior)
* Mood disturbance (dramatic changes in mood)
* Talking about suicide.
* Looking for ways to die (internet searches for how to commit suicide, looking for guns, pills, etc.)
* Statements about hopelessness, helplessness, or worthlessness.
* Preoccupation with death.
* Suddenly happier, calmer.
* Loss of interest in things one cares about.
* Visiting or calling people one cares about.
* Making arrangements; setting one's affairs in order.
* Giving things away, such as prized possessions.
And we could learn to care about each other.