The Mudcat Café TM
Thread #120379 Message #2618016
Posted By: GUEST,henryp
24-Apr-09 - 03:07 PM
Thread Name: Riddle Songs??
Subject: RE: Riddle Songs??
There are several Christmas carols;
The Bitter Withy
5. Our Saviour built a bridge with the beams of the sun,
And over He gone, He gone He;
And after followed the three jolly jerdins,
And drownded they were all three.
The Cherry Tree Carol
6. O then bespoke the baby
Within his mother's womb
'Bow down then the tallest tree
For my mother to have some.'
7. Then bowed down the highest tree,
Unto his mother's hand.
Then she cried, 'See, Joseph,
I have cherries at command.'
The Carnal and The Crane
11. The cock soon freshly feathered was
By the work of God's own hand
And then three fences1 crowed he
In the dish where he did stand
16. First, came the lovely lion,
Which Jesus's grace did spring,
And of the wild beasts in the field
The lion shall be king.
19. God speed thee, man! said Jesus,
Go fetch thy ox and wain,
And carry home thy corn again
Which thou this day hast sown.'
25. Why, the truth it must be spoke,
And the truth it must be known;
For Jesus passed by this way
When my seed was sown.
King Pharim/King Pharaoh
5. Oh, it's straight away the cock did fetch,
And feathered to your own hand,
Three times a roasted cock did crow,
On the place where they did stand.
8. "Come husbandman!" cried Jesus,
"From over speed and pride,
And carry home your ripened corn
That you've been sowing this day.