The Mudcat Café TM
Thread #139478 Message #3201722
Posted By: Vic Smith
04-Aug-11 - 01:20 PM
Thread Name: Sidmouth Festival as it happens
Subject: RE: Sidmouth Festival as it happens
Some of my many "Champagne Moments" from a wonderful Sidmouth so far:-
* Simon Ritchie step-dancing on a fairly rickety table top to Dan Quinn's melodeon playing at the Arts Centre.
* The spot by Lady Maisery at the Woodlands. First time that I have seen thm and it was powerful stuff.
* The Old Swan Band providing the band spot at the Volunteer singaround. Mighty fiddles meets brass stuff
* The Sean Nos dancing of Brian Cunningham at the Arts Centre - really exhilerating.
* The singing of three great Irish singers who I seem to have heard many times this week in concert and in informal session - Rosie Stewart, Roisin White & Jerry O'Reilly Good on all three of you.
* The fabulous music of The Doyle Family. Father Simon playing the uillean pipes with three young daughters on button box, banjo and fiddle. Superb tight family playing.
* Martin Carthy singing Mike Waterson's Bright Phoebus with much support from a packed bar room at the Volunteer
* Three top step dancers in different British traditions, Lakeland, Sean Nos and East Anglian dancing together to the pipes of Simon Doyle.