The Mudcat Café TM
Thread #44011 Message #3504488
Posted By: Noreen
16-Apr-13 - 06:44 PM
Thread Name: Origin: Ballad of Seth Davy / Whiskey on a Sunday
Subject: RE: Origin: Ballad of Seth Davy / Whiskey on a Sunday
Snuffy, the place came first-
see this page: LIVERPOOL'S GHOST STREETS: BEVINGTON BUSH:
In the middle of the 18th century, however, the fields around here were gold and green. Bevington Bush was a hamlet hunkered within a thickly wooded hill. The 'bush', was a patch of elevated land on which a profitable crop of corn grew. In 'A History of Corn Milling' ...Bevington Bush is listed as having four windmills in 1768. ... The tower of the most northerly mill was demolished in the 1960s....
Two centuries ago Bevington Bush was a pastoral idyll. City merchants used to enjoy nothing better, on a Sunday afternoon, than to stroll from the industry of town to the open fields of Bevington Bush – the first village on the road to Preston.
They chose their route well. For Bevington Bush was home to a popular inn, perfectly placed for that reviving Sunday afternoon session.....
In his book Liverpool: Our City – Our Heritage, (pub: Bluecoat Press) historian Freddie O'Connor reveals that "…In 1760, half a mile from St Patrick's Cross (in what's now Great Crosshall Street) along Bevington Bush Road was an inn called simply The Bush, which became a favourite haunt for folk to travel out into the country, to the Bevy Inn, as it became fondly known."
And before you say anything – no, that's not why we say we're going for a bevvy. Obviously. Although 'The Bevvy' does get a mention in another book: Recollections of Old Liverpool (pub: Echo Press, Middlesex), "The sailors were very fond of going to the Bevington Bush Inn, or The Bevvy, with their sweethearts, and many a boisterous scene have I witnessed there. The view was really beautiful from the gardens…. Along the Scotland Road were cornfields, meadows and gardens…"
The gardens didn't last long. With the opening of Scotland Road the ancient hamlet of Bevington Bush soon became surrounded by our ever-growing city. But the inn remained – even adding its own brewery, Hallsal Seager and Co, in 1834.