The Mudcat Café TM
Thread #161908 Message #3851157
Posted By: Stu
19-Apr-17 - 04:05 AM
Thread Name: BS: UK General Election
Subject: RE: BS: UK General Election
Reasons why May called the election:
1) She has a 20 point lead in the polls.
2) Two dozen tory MPs are under investigation by the CPS over election expenses, and this could force a series of by elections that would deplete her small majority in the commons. This might have been the issue that forced her into a U-turn.
3) Buying time for Brexit; the tories want the mandate for a hard Brexit and free reign over the negotiations without interference from parliament.
4) Labour is an utter shambles and ineffective as an opposition so now's the time to exploit this weakness.
5) Contrary to what May keeps parroting out, the public are far from "coming together" behind her vision of a hard Brexit and she needs to act whilst those against a hard brexet are still unorganised.
6) The LibDems are emerging as the only remain party likely to suggest another referendum to approve the final Brexit deal. Given the 48% need a flag to rally under they could establish both their distance from the tories post-Clegg and their pro-EU credentials. Any momentum they gain in the country would be potentially damaging to the tory hard brexit plans, and so she has to go to the country before the LibDems gather any momentum.
7) At the moment, the non-dom tax-avoiding press barons that won the Brexit vote and last election are still in the ascendancy with their brand of hard right-wing conservatism; they are pushing for a hard brexit and whilst May has their support winning a mandate will be much easier.