The Mudcat Café TM
Thread #46310 Message #3888754
Posted By: Jim Carroll
15-Nov-17 - 01:01 PM
Thread Name: Origin: Saint James Infirmary Blues
Subject: RE: Origin: Saint James Infirmary Blues
"There is close to zero verifiable fact in that Wikipedia page"
There was "The Lock Hospital" and The Lock Penitentiary" Jack
KEEPING DUBLIN.S DIRTY SECRETS
"The Westmoreland Lock Hospital for Incurables" or, to give it its official name, the Hospital of St Margaret of Cortona ? was situated on Townsend Street. The Lock was founded in 1792 and was one of the few establishments catering for venereal disease. Initially, the hospital treated three hundred patients of both sexes. Later, its capacity was reduced to a hundred and fifty beds, and only women were admitted. Catholics and Protestants were segregated, while married women who had been infected by their husbands were kept away from common prostitutes. In 1794, the Lock Penitentiary opened for business. The penitentiary catered for women who had been discharged from the hospital. The women were, as Samuel Lewis put it in his Topographical Dictionary in 1837, ?employed in needle- work and other female occupations?"