The Mudcat Café TM
Thread #164110 Message #3926239
Posted By: Bat Goddess
21-May-18 - 07:24 PM
Thread Name: May Press Room [NH] Shanty Sing
Subject: RE: May Press Room [NH] Shanty Sing
I just cleared a space to do this update -- hear all the stuff clattering off the desk?
The crew was me, Bat Goddess aka Linn, Jeri, Ranger1, Amy W., Jim, Gail and Amanda, Don, Bill and Carol, Mike, W.B., and Rita.
And here's what we sang -
1. Greenland Whale Fisheries - Don (version from the Log of the Whale Ship Bengal)
2. Home, Dearie, Home - Linn
3. Away Rio - Amy W.
4. Mollymauk - Jeri
5. Haul Away, Joe - Jim
6. Paddy Doyle's Boots - Mike
7. Chicken On a Raft - Jeri
8. Shenandoah - Amanda (last verse - Don)
9. Cannery Shed - Linn
10. Farewell to Nova Scotia - Amy
11. Three Score and Ten - Don
12. The Water Is Wide - Gail F.
13. Grey Funnel Line - Rita
14. Old She Crab - Mike
15. The Girls Around Cape Horn - Don
16. Sandgate Girl's Lament - Linn
17. Haul Day - Amy W.
18. Sonny's Dream - Gail & Amanda
19. West Indies Blues - Ranger1
20. Lady Franklin's Lament - Don
21. Maggie May - Linn
22. Hieland Laddie - Jim
23. Race of Long Ago - Linn
24. Malaquita - Don
25. High Barbary - Amanda
26. Bold Riley - Rita
27. One For the Morning Glory - Mike
28. Eddystone Light - Amy W.
29. Lowlands - Gail
30. Plum Island National Anthem - Linn (written by Richard Johnson)
31. Twiddle - Amanda (written by Misbehavin' Maidens)
32. Nine Times a Night - Linn
33. The Silkie - Amy W.
34. Rule Britannia (parody) - Gail
35. God Save the King (parody) - Linn
36. Fiddler's Green - Jim
37. Seaman's Hymn - Don and the Company
As you can tell by the abbreviated song list, we spent a fair amount of time talking and telling stories. I wish I could share them all with you!
Please let me know of any typos, errors, or anything I've inadvertently missed.