The Mudcat Café TM
Thread #59418 Message #3928465
Posted By: Rapparee
01-Jun-18 - 09:24 AM
Thread Name: BS: The Mother of all BS threads
Subject: RE: BS: The Mother of all BS threads
Okay, Bee-Dub, try this recipe instead.
1. Dissolve 1 cup salt in 1/2 gallon water. Soak 2 heads of Napa or other cabbage, quartered, in the salt water for 3 to 4 hours.
2. Combine a bunch of peeled garlic, a couple inches or more of peeled ginger root, and fish sauce (anchovy is fine) and/or salted shrimp in food processor or blender until finely minced.
3. In large bowl, combine daikon or other radishes, chipped green onions, torn mustard greens, garlic mixture, about 1/2 cup chili powder, and 1 tablespoon salt. Toss gently but thoroughly. (If mixing with your hands, be sure to wear rubber gloves to avoid chili burn.)
4. Remove cabbage from water and rinse thoroughly. Drain cabbage in colander, squeezing as much water from the leaves as possible. Take cabbage and stuff radish mixture between leaves, working from outside in, starting with largest leaf to smallest. Do not overstuff, but make sure radish mixture adequately fills leaves. When entire cabbage is stuffed, take one of the larger leaves and wrap tightly around the rest of the cabbage. Put the stuffed cabbage in a or stoneware jar 1-gallon jar, pressing down firmly to remove any air bubbles. Cover or screw the lid on.
5. Let sit for at least 2 to 3 days in a cool place before serving. Remove former cabbage and stuff from jar and slice into 1-inch-length pieces. Refrigerate after opening.