The Mudcat Café TM
Thread #165370 Message #3966862
Posted By: Bat Goddess
17-Dec-18 - 02:39 PM
Thread Name: December Press Room [NH] Shanty Sing
Subject: RE: December Press Room [NH] Shanty Sing
I was busy being "Session Queen" (Session Meister?) all weekend. On the weekend of the third Saturday, I'm traffic cop, etc. in charge of sessions on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. So reporting on THIS session gets postponed until today.
Turnout was a bit sparse this month, probably due to seasonal commitments and stuff that needs to be done before the holidays.
The crew (not all at the same time) was me, stalwart Don Hale who came despite a family event, Rita (who had to leave after about an hour), Jim & Gail Finn, Bill & Carol from Boston, Mike Modern, Carol Coronis for two short bits of time in between Christmas shopping, Bill Perry, and close to the end -- surprise -- Pete Hale. Gail Didrickson, here to listen, joined us so another table was freed up for regular Press Room patrons.
Because of the scant turnout of singers we had a couple nearby tables with children in "our" section, but we drew those kids (and their parents) into the singing by asking what Christmas songs they wanted to hear. The other little girl at a table a bit further away was a good singer, but she didn't want to come over close to us. (Scary folkies...)
I kept getting distracted, so this list may not be complete, but MOST of what we sang was --
1. Bold Riley - Rita
2. Cannery Shed - Linn
3. Grey Funnel Line - Don
4. Rose of Allendale - Gail F.
5. Jingle Bells - Rita & Gail F. trading verses
6. Joy To the World - Rita
To which I added the cat parody version
7. Cherry Tree Carol - Linn
8. Paddy Doyle's Boots - Mike
9. A couple more parodies
10. Maggie May - Linn
11. Greenland Whale Fishery - Don
12. That's the Ticket - Gail F.
13. Haul Away, Joe - Jim
14. Paddy West - Mike
15. Plum Island National Anthem - Linn
16. Why Should I Marry? - Linn (also written by Richard Johnson/flip of 45 rpm record of Plum Island National Anthem)
17. Farewell to Carlingford - Don
18. Gail sang "You And Me Go Fishing/Swimming In the Sea", an interactive children's song, with the children at the next table -- who LOVED it.
19. Sailor's Prayer [Tom Lewis] - Linn
20. Somerset Gloucestershire Wassail [Kingston Trio version] - Don
21. The Wren - Linn
22. Three Score and Ten - Mike
23. Ringing the Bell for Jim - Gail F.
24. Backside of Nantucket Point - Linn
25. Willie Taylor - Carol Coronis
26. Deck Us Now With Boston Charlie [Pogo] - Linn
27. South Australia - Jim
28. Where Am I to Go? - Mike M.
29. Children Go Where I Send thee - Don
Today I was unable to attend the memorial gathering for a friend (and friend of the session) Dale Rice, because I had to be here. And I promised his wife, Raelene, that we'd raise a glass and sing a song. Then, this morning I learned that another friend, Dick Levine, had passed away. (And we lost a trad session member less than two months ago. It's been a rough few months.)
30. Crossing the Water - Linn (in honor of Dale and Dick)
31. A Cockie In Bungaree - Mike
32. Bluey Brink - Mike
33. Nine Miles From Gundagai - Mike
34. Sloop John A [Les Barker] - Linn
35. Haul, Boys, Haul - Don
36. Santiano - Carol C.
37. Talcahuano Girls - Linn
38. 1 verse of Australian drover version of Talcahuano Girls - Mike
39. Row, Bullies, Row - Mike
40. Broken Down Squatter Like Me - Mike
41. Baidin Fheillimi - Jim
42. Rag Dance - Pete Hale
43. The King - Linn
44. Round - Christmas Is Coming - led by Don
45. Please Daddy (don't Get Drunk This Christmas - Mike
46. Somerset Gloucestershire Wassail - Pete
47. Mingalay Boat Song - Bill Perry
48. Barrett's Privateers - Pete
49. Seaman's Hymn - Don and the Company
Thank you, everyone, for coming!
As usual, please let me know any corrections or omissions (especially since I was distracted several times early in the session).