The Mudcat Café TM
Thread #165215 Message #4083776
Posted By: Charmion
16-Dec-20 - 01:30 PM
Thread Name: BS: Recipes - what are we eating?
Subject: RE: BS: Recipes - what are we eating?
Wot, no Christmas baking?
I have been asked for my fruitcake recipe. It makes three standard loaves, and takes at least two days.
- 2 pounds of currants
- 12 ounces of dark Thompson raisins
- 12 ounces of golden raisins
- 4 ounces of chopped citron
- 4 ounces of glace cherries
- a cup (8 fl oz) of chopped blanched almonds
- three tablespoons of molasses or black treacle
- 3 fl oz rum, brandy or rye whiskey
- 2 lemons, grated rind and juice
- 2 oranges, grated rind and juice
- 1 pound of butter
- 1 cup of demerara (dark brown) sugar
- 8 large eggs
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
Mix the fruit thoroughly in a bowl and cover it with something airtight. Let it stand for at least a day, preferably two.
On baking day:
1. Butter and flour three standard loaf pans, or line them with parchment paper.
2. In a very large bowl, cream together the butter (you'll want to soften it in the microwave) and brown sugar, and beat in the eggs. Blend the dry ingredients in a smaller bowl.
3. Beat the fruit mixture and the dry ingredients in alternating spoonfuls into the butter, sugar and eggs. Brace yourself for some heavy lifting; the batter will be very stiff.
4. Divide the batter among the three loaf pans. I weigh the loaded pans to be sure they are as close to the same size as I can get them. Level the batter with a fork.
5. Bake in a low oven -- 275 degrees Fahrenheit -- for about 2 hours. When they're done, souse each loaf with at least a tablespoon (preferably two) of the liquor you put in the batter, and let cool in the pans.
6. Distribute to discriminating friends. Particularly good with tea.