The Mudcat Café TM
Thread #42171   Message #611383
Posted By: Dicho (Frank Staplin)
17-Dec-01 - 12:23 AM
Thread Name: What is a Folklorist? Same as Collector?
Subject: RE: What is a Folklorist? Same as Collector?
Folklorist is a ballpark term, as Uncle Jaque shows. It involves studying traditional customs, tales, sayings, dances or art forms, according to the dictionary. Art forms may be anything from verbal to concrete items. The OED says the same in different words but adds "of the common people." I guess from that if the nobility is (are, British) involved, it ain't folklore (folk-lore, Br.).
Just for the fun of it, I looked up folksinger. Webster's says it is one who sings folk songs (folk-songs Br.) or sings in a style associated with folk songs. That's broad enough to cover most of the involved attempts at explanation that have appeared in the several threads that are in Mudcat.
Incidentally, although the OED defines folk-song, it doesn't mention folksingers, hyphenated or otherwise (1987 supplement). Beneath mention?