Wow! Just stumbled on this site after researching this song, and have spent an enjoyable several hours following many twisted threads. Feel a bit like the minotaur is after me. Anyway....
Am doing an American music concert with my college choir and a bit of re-enacting, and a great arrangement of "The Water is Wide" is on the program. My question is this: Does anyone know where it first showed up on this side of the pond? I noted the reference to the Georgia and South Carolina Sea Islands, which would be neat, since I'm in eastern North Carolina, and not far from there, but how 'bout before that? Appreciate any help....
Threads on this song:
(Not an all-inclusive list. Some say Carrickfergus is a version of this song.)
- The Water is Wide - one more time!
- Waly, Waly - Water is Wide
- Water is wide: song history request
- Lyr Req: HELP! Version of WATER IS WIDE
- Help: Looking for recording of Water is Wide
- The Water is Wide - alternate lyrics
- The Water Is Wide - Waly Waly
- The River Is Wide.....My Love and I
- WATER IS WIDE
- WHEN COCKLESHELLS TURN SILVER BELLS (Waly, Waly)
- WALY, WALY 2
- WALY, WALY 3
- WALY WALY (JAMIE DOUGLAS)
- OF LATE I'VE BEEN DRIVEN NEAR CRAZY