The Mudcat Café TM
Thread #54252 Message #839170
Posted By: Joe Offer
02-Dec-02 - 06:22 PM
Thread Name: DTStudy: Darlin' Corey / Little Maggie
Subject: ADD Version: Darlin' Corey
This version is from Best Loved American Folk Songs (Folk Song USA), by John And Alan Lomax (1947).
1. Wake up, wake up, darlin' Corey,
What makes you sleep so sound?
The revenue officers is a-comin'
To tear your stilihouse down.
2. The first time I saw darlin' Corey,
She was standin' in the door,
Her shoes and stockin's in her hands
And her feet all over the floor.
3. Go 'way from me darlin' Corey,
Quit hangin' around my bed,
Pretty women run me distracted,
Corn liquor's killed me dead.
4. The next time I saw darlin' Corey,
She was standing on the banks of the sea,
She had two pistols strapped around her body
And a banjo on her knee.
5. Last night as I lay on my pillow,
Last night as I lay on my bed,
Last night as I lay on my pillow,
I dreamed darlin' Corey was dead.
6. The last time I saw darlin' Corey
She had a wine glass in her hand
She was drinkin' that cold pizen liquor
With a low-down sorry man.
7. Go and dig me a hole in the meadow,
A hole in the cold, cold ground,
Go and dig me a hole in the meadow,
Just to lay darlin' Corey down.
8. Don't you hear them blue-birds singin'?
Don't you hear that mournful sound?
They're preachin' Corey's funeral
In the lonesome graveyard ground.