The Mudcat Café TM
Thread #54463   Message #844719
Posted By: The Shambles
10-Dec-02 - 01:51 PM
Thread Name: Can YOU help The Blue Bell session?
Subject: RE: Can YOU help The Blue Bell session?
How much does a licence cost, can we be told please?Maybe a grant from the cultural department or the arts council can be applied for.

The cost of the licence is really not the issue mainly as it is only the licensee that can apply or pay for it. As this session was the only musical activity taking place, there is some real question to if the licence was even legally required for this.

Paying for the licence at this point will not settle the issue of whether the council are to prosecute her or not. Trying to prevent this, is the first objective.

Without the council proving this event was a licensable public entertainment, there has been no crime committed. The real danger is that if they do prosecute, the licensee will be forced to feel she has no choice but to plead guilty to allowing the traditional music making, to be considered a crime.

The question is, do you consider this to be a crime?

For even had there been only two participants, and even if these were paid 'performers', a licence would not have been required and this activity would not have been a crime.

It is simply that the council are saying that more than two pub customers making any live music are more than the two permitted 'performers' in a public entertainment and that this is illegal without the licence.