The Mudcat Café TM
Thread #60854 Message #975604
Posted By: GUEST,Russ
02-Jul-03 - 09:09 PM
Thread Name: Tech: Recording to PC
Subject: RE: Tech: Recording to PC
Don't worry about the quality of the soundcard. If it came with the PC, and it is an actual separate card rather than something built into the motherboard, it'll probably be one of the OEM SoundBlaster cards. They're fine. You only need to get serious about the card if you get serious about computer recording. For now just play around and have fun and familiarize yourself with the process.
1. If the mic has a switch, make sure it is off.
2. Look for some sort of configuration program that came with the PC. It is used to select an external sound source. Use it to select microphone input. Might have to consult the docs that came with the PC to find our what program to use. Might even have to install the program.
2. Plug mic into sound card. Look for the hole with the tiny picture of a microphone just above or below it. Depending on the cable from the mic you might need to get some sort of adapter at Radio Shack.
3. Start up recording program. It sounds like you have some version of Cakewalk. Click on the record button or choose the record option from a menu or whatever.
4. Turn on the mic.
5. Play and sing your little heart out.
6. Turn off the recording feature.
7. Save the file.
Congratulations. You're in business.