Lyrics & Knowledge Personal Pages Record Shop Auction Links Radio & Media Kids Membership Help
The Mudcat Cafemuddy

Post to this Thread - Sort Descending - Printer Friendly - Home

Gigs in America

BobKnight 04 Feb 16 - 11:40 AM
GUEST,Nick Dow 04 Feb 16 - 04:13 PM
GUEST,leeneia 05 Feb 16 - 12:20 PM
DebC 05 Feb 16 - 12:36 PM
Share Thread
Lyrics & Knowledge Search [Advanced]
DT  Forum
Sort (Forum) by:relevance date
DT Lyrics:

Subject: Gigs in America
From: BobKnight
Date: 04 Feb 16 - 11:40 AM

Someone said to me that my Scottish songs would go down well in America - anybody any idea where gigs can be found there - festivals, houseconcerts, etc?

Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: Gigs in America
From: GUEST,Nick Dow
Date: 04 Feb 16 - 04:13 PM

Not as easy as it used to be Bob, The internet has tightened up non work visa entry. However with a specialist knowledge you might be on to a winner. They keep asking me to go back, but my days of weeks on the road are well over. 5 days is as much as I can do nowadays, and then I end up looking like a stand in for Quasimodo with the state of my back. Brian Peters is the man to ask (about US I mean not backs). It would be wise to borrow or hire a guitar over in the states, you stand a chance of having a guitar to play at home and not a pile of firewood courtesy of the airline.
Bud Manning (Buds Records) is a good contact, he will advise you on clubs and house parties.

Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: Gigs in America
From: GUEST,leeneia
Date: 05 Feb 16 - 12:20 PM

I'm not an expert. It's been years since I was involved in presenting folk concerts. In those days, we worked with the agents for bands.

I think there is a new force on the scene. Check out "the Folk Alliance."

Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: Gigs in America
From: DebC
Date: 05 Feb 16 - 12:36 PM

Hi Bob-I would second Nick's advice of contacting Brian Peters. He comes over quite a bit and could probably help you out with contacts. That said, the Visa that is now required to work here in USA is quite a cumbersome process, not to mention extremely expensive. BTW-I never recommend trying to sneak in if you are working; if you are caught the penalties are in the thousands of dollars and you could be barred from entering the USA for ten years. You do need to plan at least a year in advance and the second you have your first gig booked, apply for the Visa.

Good luck,
Debra cowan

Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate
  Share Thread:

Reply to Thread
Subject:  Help
Preview   Automatic Linebreaks   Make a link ("blue clicky")

Mudcat time: 20 August 9:57 AM EDT

[ Home ]

All original material is copyright © 1998 by the Mudcat Café Music Foundation, Inc. All photos, music, images, etc. are copyright © by their rightful owners. Every effort is taken to attribute appropriate copyright to images, content, music, etc. We are not a copyright resource.