Lyrics & Knowledge Personal Pages Record Shop Auction Links Radio & Media Kids Membership Help
The Mudcat Cafesj

Post to this Thread - Sort Descending - Printer Friendly - Home

Help: Song Licensing

Related threads:
So what's the deal with AMCOS? (4)
Copyrights - Will I be sued if (I give away CDs?) (46)
Help: Licensing Songs for Recording (7)
Help: Performance/recording rights (2)
Help: SESAC licensing (2)
Help:Recording trad. songs (4)
How to obtain copyright permission? (19)
Help: Asking permission (10)

dwditty 16 May 02 - 03:01 PM
GUEST,maryrrf 16 May 02 - 04:04 PM
dwditty 17 May 02 - 08:26 AM
Barbara Shaw 17 May 02 - 09:28 AM
Share Thread
Lyrics & Knowledge Search [Advanced]
DT  Forum Child
Sort (Forum) by:relevance date
DT Lyrics:

Subject: Song Licensing
From: dwditty
Date: 16 May 02 - 03:01 PM

I am now set up to record and produce "home-made" cds on my computer. I would like to distribute a bunch to friends and family and maybe sell a few at gigs. I would anticipate under 100 in the life of a cd "project." I do lots of other people's songs and would not want to rip anyone off. My questions are: 1. Is this a scenario in which I should secure licenses to songs? and 2. How does one go about it?

I checked in at our old friend Harry Fox, and the minimum license through them is for 500 copies or about $40US per song. Obviously I would rather not spend $500-1000 on a "for fun" project. Opinions and/or specific knowledge is most welcome.

Off to comb the public domain lists.



Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: Help: Song Licensing
From: GUEST,maryrrf
Date: 16 May 02 - 04:04 PM

Interesting question. That's why I've stuck to public domain and personal friends who have given permission.

Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: Help: Song Licensing
From: dwditty
Date: 17 May 02 - 08:26 AM


Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate

Subject: RE: Help: Song Licensing
From: Barbara Shaw
Date: 17 May 02 - 09:28 AM

I paid for one license through Harry Fox for our ShoreGrass In Connecticut CD. Their rate is the statutory amount, so you would pay the same amount going through a publisher - which I did for another song on the CD. I also sent the statutory rate directly to a friend for songs used by permission.

We recorded for the same reasons as you, but stuck to mostly original and public domain songs to keep the costs down. I personally didn't want to worry about licensing and copyright issues and using someone's music without paying the royalty, so I just paid it and forgot about it. You'll hopefully get it back when you sell your CDs.

Post - Top - Home - Printer Friendly - Translate
  Share Thread:

Reply to Thread
Subject:  Help
Preview   Automatic Linebreaks   Make a link ("blue clicky")

Mudcat time: 18 May 2:45 PM EDT

[ Home ]

All original material is copyright © 2022 by the Mudcat Café Music Foundation. All photos, music, images, etc. are copyright © by their rightful owners. Every effort is taken to attribute appropriate copyright to images, content, music, etc. We are not a copyright resource.